“What do you consider to be the most disgusting thing in the world?” is the question the young journalist was posing to travelers going through Kennedy Airport (USA) the morning of his greatest life changing encounter. There were many answers, all reflecting the devastating conditions of the world climate. Yet, when he saw a young Zen Monk in complete Buddhist dress, the journalist knew this would be a different viewpoint. With eagerness, he awaited the monk’s answer to the question. The monk answered with a counter-question: “Who are you?” startled, the reporter answered, “I am John Smith” “No, that is just your name, but who are you?” “I am a journalist for a television company” “No, that is just your job, but who are you?” “I am a human being,” “No, that is just your species, but who are YOU?” The journalist finally understood what the monk meant and stood there with his mouth wide open because he couldn’t find anything to say. He really had never thought about “who HE was”.
“What do you consider to be the most disgusting thing in the world?” is the question the young journalist was posing to travelers going through Kennedy Airport (USA) the morning of his greatest life changing encounter. There were many answers, all reflecting the devastating conditions of the world climate. Yet, when he saw a young Zen Monk in complete Buddhist dress, the journalist knew this would be a different viewpoint. With eagerness, he awaited the monk’s answer to the question. The monk answered with a counter-question: “Who are you?” startled, the reporter answered, “I am John Smith” “No, that is just your name, but who are you?” “I am a journalist for a television company” “No, that is just your job, but who are you?” “I am a human being,” “No, that is just your species, but who are YOU?” The journalist finally understood what the monk meant and stood there with his mouth wide open because he couldn’t find anything to say. He really had never thought about “who HE was”.

Comments
Post a Comment