The inevitable reaction from my father was to work more hours. Such was the pressure of this business. The business continued to fail, and my father worked more and more. It got to the point where my father and my mother worked over 18 hours per day. They tried to keep this failing business afloat and some food on our table. I cannot begin to imagine how this must have felt to my parents as the walls slowly began drawing in. Did they feel blind panic, shame, helplessness, and fear? Who knows, but it was not good.
Dr. Lester Sumrall once told me a personal story about Smith Wigglesworth that illustrates his bold and unashamed personality. He told me how Wigglesworth would frequently travel with his daughter Alice. She had a hearing problem and would often sit and listen to her father’s sermons with a “hearing horn.” Once, a man yelled from the audience: “Wigglesworth! If you are such a healer in the power of God, then why does your daughter need a hearing horn?” Unshaken by the question, Wigglesworth looked to the man and said, “When you can tell me why Elijah was bald, I’ll tell you why Alice needs a hearing horn.” Smith Wigglesworth never minced his words, and he was never shaken by religious persecution. I admire that quality in Smith Wigglesworth. In fact, I’ve always loved his ministry. I am continually blessed by the mixture of his boldness, his faith, and his compassion. As I’ve traveled throughout the world, I’ve found that others have never grown tired of his ministry. Smith Wiggleswort...

Comments
Post a Comment